School’s out and that means it’s family vacation or staycation time. Whether you’re visiting from far away or nearby, Tempe has lots to offer. From the squirmiest little travelers to tough-to-please teens, kids, parents and grandparents will find plenty to please in Tempe’s wide range of family-oriented attractions and restaurants that are up to the challenge of satisfying the pickiest of palates.
For more ideas, view the Sunny Arizona Family Guide!
- Cool off this summer at one of Tempe’s splash pads. The watery fun begins on May 3 when Tempe’s splash pads open for the season. During the month of May, they are open on Saturdays and Sundays at 10 a.m. Check their website for summer hours. Tempe Beach Park is home to the largest water-filled play area – Splash Playground. The fun water features include cannons, streams, a slide, a misting system and pop-up fountains. Admission is free and lifeguards are on duty.
- Parents can relax with a coffee or frozen yogurt and watch their kids have play in the Splash Pad at Tempe Marketplace. This family-friendly shopping and dining destination also features free live music on two stages every Friday and Saturday evening.
- Catch a wave or a thrilling ride down a slide at Big Surf, America’s original wave pool.
- Have you ever wondered what the zoo animals are up to at night when no one is watching? You might get a hint at the Phoenix Zoo’s Prowl & Play evening events scheduled in in June, July and August. Unique and exciting activities allow guests to explore, see and hear the Zoo differently than a daytime visit.
- Don’t miss one of Tempe’s best annual events – the July 4th Tempe Town Lake Festival. Join the celebration at Tempe Beach Park for live music, a kid’s play area, tasty food and the best fireworks show in Phoenix.
- Located in Arizona Mills Mall, SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium is a unique excursion for the whole family. Primarily focused towards children, SEA LIFE creates an environment where little ones can have face-to-face encounters with seahorses, rays, sharks, tropical fish and more. Everyone will love the new traveling exhibit, Turtle Shelter featuring strange and exotic creatures like red-eared sliders and snake-neck turtles Combine your visit to SEA LIFE with lunch or dinner at the Rainforest Cafe, also located in Arizona Mills.