In an effort to Go Green Tempe has put into motion several programs and measures, including recycling in Tempe, to ensure that the City of Tempe is doing everything it can to promote a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
- Tempe’s East Valley Bus Operations & Maintenance Facility was recently awarded the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. This is a prestigious award and the first of its kind in the new Green Tempe.
- The Tempe Transportation Center is a multi-use facility that integrates a METRO light rail stop, the city’s main bus station and the Bicycle Cellar, a full-service bicycle commuter facility with secure bicycle parking, showers, lockers, bicycle sales and rentals. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awarded a Smart Growth Achievement Award to the City of Tempe for the Transportation Center. The EPA honored the facility as a model for sustainable design and a vibrant, mixed-use regional transportation hub that incorporates innovative and green building elements tailored to the desert environment. The City of Tempe is also seeking LEED Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Tempe supports xeriscape landscaping in an effort to conserve our precious water resources.
- Recycling in Tempe has become a great way to ensure a brighter and cleaner future.
- ASU’s Global Institute for Sustainability helps train the environment, social and economic leaders of tomorrow on the importance of sustainable and responsible cities like Green Tempe.
- With the Light Rail and Green Tempe bus system, residents and visitors can reduce fuel consumption and emissions, leading to cleaner, healthier air.
By conserving water and energy, working to improve green technology and getting residents and visitors to start recycling in Tempe, Tempe will become the model for a sustainable, Green city of the future.