Charles Trumbell Hayden House
100 S. Mill Ave. Tempe AZ
Completed: 1873; 1924 rehabilitation; later modifications Architect: Robert Evans (1924 rehab) Current Use: Monti’s La Casa Vieja Restaurant Hayden House/La Casa Vieja is one of Tempe’s most significant historic buildings. The house evolved from a traditional Mexican/Sonoran-style row house (1873-1889) to a boarding house (1890-1924), during which time a wood-frame second story was added, followed by a stylistic restoration and conversion to a restaurant. It is notable for its association with Charles Trumbell Hayden and his son, Carl, who was born in the house and become one of Arizona’s most prominent citizens. In 1889, the Hayden family moved to a more spacious ranch east of town, adding a partial second story and converting “the old house” to a boarding house. In 1924, Charles Hayden's daughters, Sallie and Mary, hired Robert Evans, a local architect/builder, to oversee what would be the first restoration of an historic house in Arizona. The upper story was removed and the plastered adobe walls repaired. The sisters opened a tea house and restaurant in the refurbished structure. In 1954, Leonard Monti transformed the landmark into Monti’s La Casa Vieja, a neighborhood steakhouse that has become a favorite for locals and visitors from all 50 states and dozens of foreign countries. Today, Monti’s is the largest full-service restaurant in Arizona. The essence of the 1924 restoration remains intact, although a secondary structural system has been added and the courtyard enclosed. The original ceilings of saguaro ribs are still visible in the oldest rooms. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Tempe Historic Property Register. Also see: www.tempe.gov/historicpres/; www.tempe.gov/museum; www.tempe.gov/3decades/.