Tempe's great facilities and sunny weather make it an ideal location for amateur, collegiate and professional sports. From baseball spring training in Tempe to the Ironman Arizona triathlon, Tempe offers something for everyone.
For a preview of some of Tempe’s best outdoor recreation, watch our YouTube video.
Arizona State University and the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl
- Arizona State University brings the excitement of collegiate competition to Tempe with a full lineup of football, basketball, baseball and all other major sports every year. Annually in December, ASU's Sun Devil Stadium is also home to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, an exciting match up between the Big 12 and Big Ten conferences.
- If you think you are tough enough and are up for a challenge, gear up for Ironman Arizona. This gruling, yet inspiring race in Tempe puts athletes to the test every November with a 2.4 mile swim, a 112-mile bike course and a 26.2 mile run.
- Each October, Tempe crowds cheer on the participants in the Soma Triathlon, a 1/2 distance Ironman triathlon and relay. Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake play host to the event, starting with a 1.2-mile swim in Tempe Town Lake, a 56-mile bike course and a 13.1-mile run.
P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon
- Tempe is the proud finish line for the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon & ½ Marathon each January. The race features an assortment of live music and spirit teams staged approximately every mile of the 26.2 and 13.1-mile courses, providing runners and spectators with continuous entertainment and motivation.
Lady Speed Stick Women's Half Marathon
- The newest event in Tempe's sports roster is the Lady Speed Stick Women's Half Marathon in November annually. The Women’s Half Marathon features a patent-pending two-in-one finisher’s medal and charm, a designer goodie bag, technical race shirt, makeovers and a post-race cookie café. The course begins in Scottsdale and ends in Tempe Beach Park.
- Pat’s Run is the signature fundraising event for the Pat Tillman Foundation. Held annually in April at Arizona State University’s Sun Devil Stadium, the event attracts over 30,000 participants, volunteers and spectators from across the country. Together, they Run, Walk and Honor Pat’s legacy while raising important funds to support the programs created to pay tribute to his commitment to leadership and service.
Cactus League Spring Training
- Cactus League Spring Training is a great opportunity for fans to preview the Major League Baseball season and enjoy Arizona’s famous sunshine. Tempe's home team, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play ball with teams including the Cubs, Brewers, Giants, Mariners and the Cincinnati Reds. Cactus League takes place during the month of March annually . View Tempe's Spring Training video.
Golf in Tempe
Hking and Biking
- Beautiful desert vistas can be explored by quick, or more challenging, hikes located throughout the Tempe area. Popular hiking spots include Papago Park, “A” Mountain and the largest municipal park in the United States, South Mountain Park/Preserve. Papago Park and South Mountain are also perfect for mountain biking. Tempe has approximately 170 miles of dedicated bikeways and the League of American Bicyclists has designated Tempe a Silver-Level Bicycle-Friendly Community Award winner.
- Tempe’s residents and visitors enjoy top-of-the-line sports facilities, including soccer fields, baseball and softball fields, lighted tennis courts, pools, golf courses and our own two-mile urban oasis, Tempe Town Lake. The area contains a twin bicycle and walking path that circles the lake leading to Tempe Beach Park, Splash Playground, Town Lake Marina and Giuliano Park.
Stay in Tempe during your next sporting event
- To book a room at a Tempe hotel for an upcoming sporting event or competition, please visit our Meeting Max reservation Web site.