As a year-round destination for family entertainment, there are lots of fun activities for kids in Tempe. Kids especially love the variety of attractions in Tempe including:
- Water Parks - Kids young and old will love riding the waves at Big Surf Water Park or splashing around the always fun Splash Playground at Tempe Beach Park.
- Sporting Events - Amateur, college and professional sports all play a big role in Tempe. Arizona State University host large tournaments and Pac 12 conference games throughout the year. Take the kids out to the ballpark during Cactus League Spring Training for baseball, hotdogs and popcorn. And don't forget, Tempe is close to all of the professional teams including the NBA Phoenix Suns, MLB Arizona Diamondbacks, NFL Arizona Cardinals and NHL Phoenix Coyotes.
- Festivals - Tempe is a prime location for big events such as the Arizona Dragon Boat Festival and Oktoberfest at Tempe Town Lake at Tempe Beach Park. The Mill Avenue District celebrates the holidays with the Tempe Fantasy of Lights with Santa's arrival, the lighted Holiday Boat Parade and two huge arts festivals in the fall and spring.
- The Phoenix Zoo in Papago Park has been voted one of the nations top 5 zoos for kids. The whole family will enjoy getting up close and personal to the animals at unfenced exhibits such as Monkey Village and Wallaby Walkabout and the petting zoo and playground at Harmony Farm.
- Childsplay, professional theatre company for young audiences, brings their excellent performances to the Tempe Center for the Arts throughout the year.
- Located within the Arizona Mills mall, SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium is a unique excursion for the whole family. Primarily focused towards children, SEA LIFE creates an environment where little ones can have face-to-face encounters with seahorses, rays, sharks, tropical fish and more. The aquarium has more than 30 display tanks in 12 different habitat zones, making homes for more than 5,000 sea creatures.
- The Arizona Historical Society Museum features hands-on activities for school aged children that teach about the history of our area.
- The Arizona Museum for Youth is an art museum just for kids, complete with an area for art projects, kid-friendly art exhibitions and play areas.
- With an emphasis on learning through play, the new Children's Museum of Phoenix is just plain fun for kids from birth through age.
- ASU Art Museum, a free contemporary art museum, hosts a First Saturday for Families on the first Saturday of every month. Children from 4-12 are encouraged to create artwork that inspired by a current exhibition.
- Kiwanis Park is the ultimate community park with a lake, walking paths, picnic ramadas, a playground and fields for sports.
- Boating on the Lake - Tempe Town Lake is the perfect spot for outdoor recreation.Tempe Town Lake Boat Rentals has a variety of watercrafts for the perfect day out on the lake right in downtown Tempe.
- Changing Hands Bookstore is one of the best independent bookstores around. It has a wonderful selection of childrens toys and books. Check their event calendar for storytimes and author events.
- If your child dreams of being a firefighter, the Hall of Flame Fire Museum is the perfect stop. See fire trucks and equipment dating back to the 18th century. Kids can climb on a truck and try on firefighter gear.
- Tempe Marketplace is a great destination for shopping, dining and live music. They schedule live acts in the pedestrian-friendly District on Friday and Saturday nights. There are plenty of places to relax and listen to music and colorful fountains fit for splashing about.
- One of the best ways to explore the scenic Sonoran Desert is on foot. Hiking trails are abundant in and around Tempe. Some of most popular trails are located at Papago Park, South Mountain Park/Preserve and A Mountain (home to a gold A that stands for Arizona State University).
- The Mill Avenue District is located just north of the ASU Tempe Campus. Here, you'll find free live music on Thursday evenings and a great selection of restaurants to enjoy any day of the week.
For an ideal family vacation, Tempe is the perfect destination. Spend quality time with the kids and experience Tempe through a variety of unique entertainment, dining and recreation options.
For a preview of some of Tempe’s best family friendly activites, watch our YouTube video.
To learn more about activities for kids in Tempe AZ, request your free Tempe Tourism Office Visitor's Packet.