Vacations can be about rest and relaxation. But if you're in Arizona enjoying the great Tempe AZ weather, you can also focus on exploring the great outdoors and staying fit at the same time. View the Exploring Outdoor Activities in Tempe Video.
TAKE A BIKE RIDE
COMPETE IN A RACE
- Enjoy Tempe AZ weather and explore the trails of our Sonoran Desert treasure, Papago Park, on foot or with a mountain bike. Trails will challenge everyone, from novices to adventure seekers.
- Choose one of seemingly endless trail possibilities at South Mountain Park/Preserve. At over 16,000 acres, the largest municipal park in the country is popular with hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders.
- Hike up"A" Mountain in the Mill Avenue District to get a sense of the past. The trails are spotted with ancient petroglyphs, reminders of Tempe's first settlers, the Hohokam people.
- Discover Tempe Town Lake, a 220-acre urban oasis. Jog or walk along the paths surrounding Tempe Town Lake - they cover nearly 5 miles. Rent a kayak, pedal boat or go paddleboarding and enjoy the sunny weather.
Back to top
Take a Bike Ride
- Tempe is a designated Bicycle Friendly Community with 165 miles of bikeways. There are several bike shops, such as Tempe Bicycle where visitors can rent mountain bikes or cruisers to explore the city on two wheels.
- The Bicycle Cellar in Tempe offers bike rentals and bike repairs and service, lockers and showers for bicyclists. It's conveniently located at the Tempe Transportation Center at the Veterans Way/College Avenue METRO light rail stop.
Back to top
Compete in a Race
- Participate in one of Tempe's many fun runs, or join one of the largest marathons in the U.S., the P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & ½ Marathon. The Marathon & ½ Marathon, held annually in January, begins in Phoenix, runs through Scottsdale and ends at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Both courses feature bands and spirit squads to keep the motivation level high.
- Start training now for Ford Ironman Arizona. It is one of the most grueling, yet inspiring events and takes place in Tempe each November. It combines a 2.4 mile swim at Tempe Town Lake, a 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run, in succession, all taking place in the beautiful Tempe AZ weather.
- Held annually in April, Pat’s Run is one of the biggest fundraising events of the year. Over 35,000 participants attend each year to honor one of ASU’s most beloved alumni, Pat Tillman. The 4.2 mile run/walk ends inside Sun Devil Stadium and all proceeds go directly to The Tillman Military Scholars Program.
Back to top