Sports & Recreation
Tempe’s warm and irresistible climate makes is easy to step outside to enjoy the many recreational activities the area has to offer in any season. In the midst of this stunning urban community lie mountains, trails, lakes and parks. Great facilities, an ideal location and picturesque landscape make Tempe the perfect place for your next outdoor adventure, including boating, hiking, biking and golf.
- Tempe Town Lake - Tempe Town Lake is located on north side of Downtown Tempe and ASU. Everyone can enjoy Tempe Town Lake to its fullest with Tempe Boat Rentals, offering options including kayaks, pedal boats, stand-up paddleboards, electric skiffs, electric surrey top and pontoon style boats. Land lovers can enjoy a jog around 5 miles of paved shoreline. The pedestrian bridge by the Tempe Center for the Arts is a great place to go from one side of the lake to the other.
- Hiking – For a short urban hike, try Tempe’s own Hayden Butte, more popularly known as “A” Mountain. This trail is located in the heart of Downtown Tempe and offers amazing views of Tempe and the surrounding area. South Mountain Park and Preserve provides beautiful scenery and a variety of hiking and mountain bike trails. Nearby hiking areas also include Papago Park, Piestewa Peak, Camelback Mountain and the amazing Superstition Mountains.
- Biking – Tempe is a great biking city for both commuters and recreational bikers with 175 miles of pathways. Tempe Town Lake and the Papago Park region are great areas to explore and offer connections to the Scottsdale Greenbelt and Phoenix Rio Salado areas.
- Golfing – Play a round of golf at ASU Karsten Golf Course, a par 70, Pete Dye Scottish links design that boasts exceptional playing conditions year round. Tempe’s ASU Karsten Golf Course is home to the nationally ranked men’s and women’s golf programs at Arizona State University.
- Kiwanis Park - Enjoy 15 illuminated tennis courts, 10 batting cages and an indoor heated wave pool at this 54,000 square foot facility. This city owned and operated park is 125 acres of pure fun.
Get to Know Our City
Some of the biggest names in sports called Arizona State University home…
Do you want to feel like a PGA pro? Grab your clubs…
The fall is an ideal time to explore Tempe and Phoenix via…
Tempe, Arizona is known for an active, outdoor lifestyle. Our sunny days…
Tempe Interactive Map
Tempe is located in the heart of the Phoenix metro area, just minutes from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Tempe’s streets are easy to navigate and freeway access is a breeze, making it a cinch to get around our city. This interactive map is a perfect way to plan your trip. See where your hotel is located and find nearby restaurants and attractions. It's as simple as that!
View Full Interactive Map
Art & Culture
Sports & Recreation