Sports & Recreation
Get outside and explore our city. In the midst of this stunning urban community lie mountains, trails, lakes and parks. Great facilities, an ideal location and picturesque landscape make Tempe the perfect place for your next outdoor adventure, including boating, hiking, biking and golf.
- Tempe Town Lake – Go for a run or bike around the lake’s five miles of shoreline. Travel over the water on the Pedestrian, located on the west end by the Tempe Center for the Arts. Get out on the water when you rent a SUP, kayak or electric boat from Tempe Boat Rentals.
- Hiking – For a short urban hike, try Tempe’s own Hayden Butte, more popularly known as “A” Mountain. This trail is located in the heart of Downtown Tempe and offers amazing views of Tempe and the surrounding area. South Mountain Park and Preserve provides beautiful scenery and a variety of hiking and mountain bike trails. Nearby hiking areas also include Papago Park, Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mountain. A bit further, hikers and trail runners can find the amazing Superstition Mountains which contain miles of desert hiking options including Siphon Draw, Lost Dutchman State Park and the Peralta Trail.
- Biking – The League of American Bicyclists (LAB) has designated Tempe as a Gold Level Bicycle Community. Cyclists can find 175 miles of dedicated bike pathways. Mill Avenue in Downtown Tempe and the Papago Park region are great areas to explore and offer connections to the Scottsdale Greenbelt and Phoenix Rio Salado areas.
- Golfing – Play a round of golf at ASU Karsten Golf Course, a par 70, Pete Dye Scottish links design that boasts exceptional playing conditions year round. Tempe’s ASU Karsten Golf Course is conveniently located on the Tempe ASU Campus between Tempe Marketplace and Downtown Tempe. So after a round of golf, there are plenty of watering holes nearby to relax and recuperate from a day on the greens.
- Kiwanis Park - Enjoy 15 tennis courts, 10 batting cages and an indoor heated wave pool at this 54,000 square foot facility. This city owned and operated park is 125 acres of pure fun.
Get to Know Our City
Some of the biggest names in sports called Arizona State University home…
Grab your clubs and play a round of golf like a PGA…
The best time to hike in the summer months is just as the…
Tempe, Arizona is known for an active, outdoor lifestyle. Our sunny days…
Tempe Interactive Map
Tempe is located in the heart of the Phoenix metro area, just minutes from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Tempe’s streets are easy to navigate and freeway access is a breeze, making it a cinch to get around our city. This interactive map is a perfect way to plan your trip. See where your hotel is located and find nearby restaurants and attractions. It's as simple as that!
View Full Interactive Map
Art & Culture
Sports & Recreation