Celebrate Independence Day with fireworks, festivities and other summertime happenings in Tempe!
Each year, 4th of July weekend means it’s time to get friends and family together for grilling, picnicking, swimming and attending Independence Day events — and this year, the fireworks are back! So, find out where to celebrate the red, white and blue in Tempe, including classic summer happenings and perfect perches for watching fireworks displays.
Bonus: We’ve included some of our favorite activities for your holiday weekend itinerary, as well as some of Greater Phoenix’s best and biggest fireworks displays.
4th of July Weekend Events in Tempe
July 1: Military Appreciation Night with the Phoenix Rising FC
Phoenix Rising FC Stadium | 3801 E. Washington St., Phoenix, AZ 85034
Kick off 4th of July weekend with the Phoenix Rising FC as they take on the Memphis 901 FC for Military Appreciation Night. In collaboration with Luke Air Force Base, the team will don custom red, white and blue kits that feature branch-specific and local military history designs. Additionally, Northern Arizona University will recognize Purple Heart recipients at halftime.
- Honoring Luke AFB, Rising is offering a discounted $19.41 ticket. Luke AFB was built in 1941.
- Retired and active-duty military members are encouraged to request a FREE ticket from VET TIX by calling 623-594-9606.
- Gates open at 6:30 p.m. with kickoff at 8 p.m.
- The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive a free Luke AFB x Rising flag.
July 1-2: Independence Day Weekend Activities at Marriott Phoenix Resort Tempe at The Buttes
2000 W. Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 | (602) 225-9000
If you’re planning a resort getaway or staycation for the 4th of July, Marriott Phoenix Resort Tempe at The Buttes pairs close proximity to Tempe’s 71st annual 4th of July celebration with a weekend of red, white and blue activities.
- July 1: Balloon artist and Hole-in-One Challenge* (poolside, 1-3 p.m.); live DJ (poolside, 1-4 p.m.) *Winner gets a free night
- July 4: Acoustic guitar (lobby bar, 6-8 p.m.)
July 1 & 4: 4th of July Weekend Pool Parties at Alibi Rooftop Lounge
Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown | 108 E. University Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281 | (602) 612-7871
Celebrate Independence Day at Alibi Rooftop Lounge, Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown’s rooftop pool, bar and restaurant. Book your day passes or cabanas on Resortpass.com.
- July 1: The Barbie pool party theme continues with “Independence Barbie: live DJ from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cabanas include 10 passes, snack tray, six waters, six beers, and a bottle of sparkling wine. Upgrade to the Barbie package for two Barbie beach towels, which give two guests access to the pool all summer long.
- July 4: Sunset swim begins at 6 p.m. and offers attendees a birds-eye view of fireworks displays taking place throughout the Valley as well as food and drinks for purchase. For non-swimmers, admission is free.
July 1-2: Sparkles & Splash Skysill Bash
Skysill Rooftop Lounge | 11 E. 7th St., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 968-8885
From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Skysill Rooftop Lounge transforms into the Valley’s highest Independence Day Weekend Pool Party. Located on the 18th floor rooftop of The Westin Tempe, this event will include a special sparkle cocktail menu, cocktails with sparkling wine, “It’s Getting Hot Out Here” hot dog menu, live DJ entertainment, and good vibes. Guests under 21 years can come to the event with an accompanied adult 21+.
730 S. Mill Ave., #102, Tempe, AZ 85281 | 480) 314-2337
No 4th of July weekend is complete without some brews and dogs for your tastebuds. And, if you prefer to skip the grilling and order in, Pedal Haus has you covered with patriotic party packs. For $44 (including a 25% online ordering discount), you’ll add flavor and swag to your holiday menu. Party pack includes:
- Two American flag wristbands
- Two pair of branded sunglasses
- 8-pack (or two growlers) of Pedal Haus Day Drinker Light Lager
- Available add ons: two brats with fixin’s and German-style potato salad
Painting With A Twist | 219 E. Baseline Rd., Tempe, AZ 85283 | (602) 758-7928
Your family is invited to memorialize Independence Day with a festive fireworks painting session from 12-1:30 p.m. at Painting With A Twist. Choose from a variety of canvas sizes (ranging from $26-$35 per person), and then let the instructors be your guide to recreating a red, white and blue twinkling sky. All supplies are provided, and you are welcome to bring your own beer and wine.
Tempe Diablo Stadium | 2200 W. Alameda Drive, Tempe, AZ 85282
The City of Tempe, in partnership with the Kiwanis Club of Tempe, presents the 71st annual 4th of July celebration from 5 to 10 p.m. on Tuesday, July 4. The festivities will include a variety of food options (from hamburgers and hot dogs to ice cream and paletas), games, photo opportunities, live entertainment and a fireworks display.
- 5 p.m. Gates open
- 5 p.m. Live music from NineBall
- 7 p.m. Greeting From Tempe Mayor and KCOT President
- 8 p.m. 50/50 Winner Announced
- 8:15 p.m. Live music from Presley Tennant
- 9:15 p.m. National Anthem followed by fireworks show
4th of July Weekend Events throughout Greater Phoenix
July 4: All-American Festival, Peoria
Peoria Sports Complex | 16101 N. 83rd Ave., Peoria, AZ 85382
Peoria’s All-American Festival features live music by Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, family-friendly entertainment, food, music and spectacular fireworks. The event will span across the Peoria Sports Complex’s Main Stadium and into the Mariners side, where a number of HUGE water slides, food and beverage vendors and a simulcast live stream of the concert stage in Main Stadium will be happening.
- FREE General Admission to the event and all activities
- VIP Experiences available for purchase
- Live music by Azz Izz and headliners Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
- Giant Inflatable Water Slides
- Cornhole Tournament
- Food and Beverage Concessions (including beer, wine and canned cocktails)
- Sensory Room Available
- Spectacular fireworks display at 9:10 p.m. (weather permitting)
Mesa Convention Center in Downtown Mesa | 263 N. Center St., Mesa, AZ 85201
The Arizona Celebration of Freedom — one of Mesa’s signature annual events — is free and open to all ages. Spend the evening in Downtown Mesa to enjoy a patriotic car show, naturalization ceremony, thrilling live entertainment, performance by Mesa City Band, “Let Freedom Ring” Laser Light Show, and so much more, followed by a spectacular fireworks display (approx. 9:30 p.m.).
July 4: All-American Bash, Chandler
Dr. A.J. Chandler Park: Stage Plaza | 178 E. Commonwealth Ave., Chandler, AZ 85225
Celebrate 4th of July in Downtown Chandler and enjoy live music, yard games, food vendors and more. Turn It Up! will be performing two 60-minute sets for the crowd to enjoy and rock out to (7:05 to 8:05 p.m. and 8:25-9:25 p.m.). This year, in lieu of fireworks, there will be a 5-minute pyrotechnic show as part of the concert.
Gilbert Regional Park | 3005 E. Queen Creek Road, Gilbert, AZ 85298
Join the City of Gilbert for the 2023 Gilbert 4th of July Celebration presented by Earnhardt Auto Group and Haydon Building Corp. This free, family-friendly event will feature live performances, aerial entertainment, drones and fireworks! VIP experience upgrades available.
WestWorld | 16601 N. Pima Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Scottsdale’s 10th annual 4th of July celebration returns to WestWorld. From 5 to 9 p.m., festivities will include live performances, parade of heroes, bull riding, an indoor backyard barbecue, slider-eating contest, Disney shows, family friendly games and so much more — with the largest fireworks display in Scottsdale’s history scheduled for 9 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through here. This will be a cashless event.
July 4: Star Spangled 4th, Goodyear
Goodyear Ballpark | 1933 S. Ballpark Way, Goodyear, Arizona 85338
Celebrate Independence Day with a boom! Goodyear presents two live bands, food and drinks, bounce houses and a mesmerizing patriotic fireworks show! Attendance, activities, and parking are free.
Steele Indian School Park | 300 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012
The annual Fabulous Phoenix 4th returns for 2023! From 6 to 10 p.m., this free, non-alcoholic family event attracts thousands of attendees eager to spectate as one of the largest fireworks displays in the Southwest — more than 7,800 aerial effects — dazzles the night sky above Steele Indian School Park. Food and beverage vendors, arts and crafts, and promotional items will also be a part of. the festivities. ATMs will not be available.
Red, White and View
For those looking to spectate without attending an event, Tempe has several great viewing areas to catch firework displays taking place throughout the Valley.
Make a reservation at one of these Tempe hotels with a rooftop pool with a view. For more information, check out our Rooftops Pools blog.
- Omni Hotel Tempe at ASU – 7 E University Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281 | (602) 794-8600
- AC Hotel by Marriott Phoenix Tempe/Downtown – 100 E. Rio Salado Pkwy., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 642-6140
- Hyatt Place/ Hyatt House Tempe / Phoenix / University– 601 E. 6th St., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 207-1578
- Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center – 60 E. 5th St., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 894-1400
- Residence Inn by Marriott Tempe Downtown/University – 510 S. Forest Ave., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 967-2300
- Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown – 108 E. University Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 968-6800
- The Westin Tempe – 11 E. 7th St., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 968-8885
Tempe restaurants with spectacular views
- Pier 54 – 5394 S. Lakeshore Dr., Tempe, AZ 85283 | (480) 820-0660
- Top of the Rock Restaurant – 2000 W. Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 | (602) 431-2370
- Rustler’s Rooste – 8383 S. 48th St., Phoenix, AZ 85044 | (602) 431-6474
- Alibi – 108 E. University Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281 | (602) 612-7872
- Skysill Rooftop Lounge – 11 E. 7th St., Tempe, AZ 85281 | (480) 968-8885
Tempe hiking trails
Things To Do During 4th of July Weekend
Start planning your 4th of July weekend itinerary with Tempe’s wide variety of activities and things to do that will keep the entire family entertained!
- Indoor Activities in Tempe to Stay Cool this Summer:
Stay cool this July 4th by participating in indoor activities that offer tons of fun for the whole family, with a bonus of amazing air conditioning!
- Tempe Splash Pads and Water Fun
What makes the 4th of July in Tempe just a little bit better? Water! Splash your way through Tempe at nearby splash pads, water parks and pools.
- Frozen Treats & Refreshing Summer Drinks:
Beat the heat with cool and delicious frozen concoctions and delights while watching the fireworks show.