Your guide to spring break fun in Tempe, AZ!
Spring break is the best — it’s that little taste of summer that carries you through the rest of the school year. This year, spend your weeklong vacation right here in Tempe, Arizona! It’s the perfect place for enjoying fun in the sun and relaxing without schoolwork. To make the most of your valuable downtime, we’ve compiled a list of things to make your spring break memorable.
10 fun things to do in the Tempe area during spring break:
- Visit the Phoenix Zoo. Previously voted one of the top five zoos in the U.S., and one of the largest nonprofit zoos as well, this is an awesome place to spend the day. Zoo staff cares for over 3,000 animals, with nearly 400 species represented, including many threatened/endangered species, such as the African Lion, Golden Eagle, Orangutan and the Jaguar.
While you’re there, immerse yourself in a world where colossal dinosaurs and other ancient beasts dominate the landscape of the Phoenix Zoo at Dinosaurs in the Desert! Through April 2023, guests can experience prehistoric creatures, including Giganotosaurus, saber-toothed cat, sea scorpion, terror bird and more. Activities include a self-guided tour, an interactive fossil dig, dino-themed photo ops, dino merch and snacks. For a full list of activities, visit the zoo’s event website.
2. SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium, located inside Arizona Mills, is built for kids of all levels with tons of exhibits, creatures and hands-on experiences. Discover the only 360-degree ocean tunnel in Arizona and come face to face with sharks, stingrays and more! Make it a day of exploration and purchase a combo ticket to visit SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium and LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona, located next door.
3. LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona, located inside Arizona Mills, is where families with children ages 3 to 10 can enjoy a world of creativity, color and building fun in the ultimate indoor LEGO® playground, complete with thousands of LEGO® bricks in themed play areas.
4. Tempe Marketplace is a great place to visit all year round, but it’s a perfect family destination in the spring. Explore all activities at this outdoor shopping oasis:
- Splash Pad – Cool off at the splash pad located near Barnes & Noble in The District. Kids can play in the water at the Splash Pad while parents sit and relax while enjoying the fresh spring air.
- Drift Haus – On your marks, get set, go. Buckle into one of these speedy little carts and hit the beginner-friendly, indoor racetrack. There’s even a Lil’ Drifters session for ages 3 to 5.
- Live Music – Enjoy FREE live music from up-and-coming talent Friday and Saturday nights at The District Stage.
- Movies – Visit Harkins Theaters to catch the latest blockbuster film.
- Dining – There are so many kid-friendly dining options and shops inside Tempe Marketplace. From frozen yogurt to pizza and everything in between, Tempe Marketplace has just what you need to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Check out our Tempe Marketplace dining blog or family friendly restaurant blog for more options.
5. Adventure awaits in Tempe. Experience the vertical world of climbing as never before at the Phoenix Rock Gym. These 30-foot, indoor walls with over 15,000 sq. ft. of climbing surface. For something a little more on the wild side, try your axe-throwing skills at LumberJaxes Axe Throwing, Hotshots Axe Throwing or Class Axe Throwing.
6. Create memories that last a lifetime. Tap into your creative side with pottery or canvas painting (just for starters) at As You Wish or Painting with a Twist — both of which offer to-go options to enjoy in the comfort of your own home. New projects are added daily at both locations, too!
7. Get out on the water at Tempe Town Lake. Rent a donut boat, pedal boat, kayak or stand-up paddleboard with Boat Rentals of America – Tempe Town Lake. Kick the fun up a notch by boarding the swan, duck or dragon-themed pedal boats. Or bring the entire crew for a donut boat ride (seats up to 10). If you’d rather experience the lake on dry land, rent a surrey bike to cruise the perimeter. They have both two-person and four-person bikes available for rent.
8. Take a hike. Warm weather, lots of sunshine and mountain trails, what more do you need? Maybe wildflowers, if you time it just right. The spring temperatures this an excellent season for hitting the trail — with your kids or dogs in tow, too — for a hike in Tempe or nearby Phoenix.
9. Get into the game! Tilt Studio, Dave & Busters, Snakes and Lattes and Main Event deliver fun for everyone in the family. From arcade games and bowling to delicious food and tasty drinks, each location has something unique to offer, so check them all out.
Suppose you’d rather watch a game than play one yourself. In that case, we recommend catching a Cactus League Spring Training game at Tempe Diablo Stadium or an Arizona Coyotes Hockey game at the new Mullett Arena Stadium.
10. Soak up the sun and enjoy a picnic. To best enjoy the sunny spring weather, we recommend a leisurely picnic at one of Tempe’s 50 parks. Pack your picnic, and then stick around to enjoy the unique amenities, from lakes and playgrounds to murals and history. Explore our list of top parks for picnicking, from fan favorites (Tempe Beach Park and Kiwanis Park) to some not so known neighborhood gems.