Spring is bursting out all over in Tempe with perfect weather, fragrant citrus blossoms, Cactus League Spring Training and a bunch of fun outdoor events, concerts and festivals. One of Tempe’s biggest, most popular festivals, the Spring Tempe Festival of the Arts, comes to Downtown Tempe Friday, March 29 through Sunday, March 31, 2019. Admission is free (yay!) and festival hours are 10 a.m, to 5:30 p.m. each day.
The Tempe Spring Festival of the Arts is one of my favorite events. As many as 375 artists are selected to display their works from booths that line Mill Avenue and the surrounding streets in Downtown Tempe. Unique, hand-made works include woodworking, photography, paintings, sculpture, ceramics, jewelry and wearable art.
There’s also an entire area devoted to the cottage edibles and crafts where you can find ideal gifts for teachers, hostess gifts or goodies for you such as handmade soup mixes, jams, seasonings, salsas, dips, soaps, lotions, aromatherapy and other hand-crafted goodies.
I enjoy the festival, not only for all the beautiful arts and crafts that are on display for three solid days, but also for all the other fun vendors, activities, sights and sounds that make it a total sensory experience. Other highlights include:
- Street performers, entertainers and buskers scattered throughout the festival
- Live music on three stages
- Two beer and wine gardens and an Arizona wine and spirits tasting
- Kids Block, a hands-on interactive area for young artists on Saturday and Sunday
- The “Young Artist Exhibition” showcasing 300+ student works of art from around the Phoenix Metro area on display and for sale
- Lots of delicious food to purchase in the food court and from food trucks and snack vendors. Off course you’ll find all kinds of yummy eats in the comfortable surroundings of all the great restaurants in Downtown Tempe
Another cool aspect of the Festival is the Featured Artist. Each year, one of the exhibiting artists is selected to be the Featured Artist and his/her work is showcased in all spring festival promotions. This year’s Featured Artist is Karolina Adams. Take a peek at her work, which will appear in this spring’s festival promotions on the Downtown Tempe Authority Facebook page.
So, mark your calendar now and don’t miss all the fun in store at Tempe Festival of the Arts. It’s a Tempe classic!
For more information about Tempe events, visit the Tempe Tourism website or call 800-283-6734.