Why do we love summer in Tempe? Glad you asked!
You might be wary of Arizona’s toasty temperatures during the summer. But you can rest assured that Tempe is ready to host visitors and locals alike with lots of cool fun in the sun and money-saving deals all season long. Dare we say that you will perspire? Yeah, you definitely will. But, keep in mind that 100 degrees feels much more comfortable in our dry climate than in places with high humidity. We’re looking at you, Atlanta. Also, in Arizona, you’re never far away from one of mankind’s best inventions, air conditioning.
Here are a few of the things we love about summer in Tempe:
Lower Hotel Rates
Tempe hotels offer terrific summer rates, which means you’ll save a bunch of dough on accommodations. Your rate includes unlimited free access to the hotel pool, where you can spend a lot of time just chillin’. Learn more about Tempe’s cool, comfortable and inviting hotels
Misters are magical inventions that provide a cool refreshing mist anywhere people like to congregate outside. It’s like air conditioning for the outdoors. They work wonders in dry heat. Misters cool down your walk between stores at Tempe Marketplace. They make dining on restaurant patios pleasant, especially in the evening. You can chill on a mister-cooled patio, enjoying friends, food, a cool cocktail and, in many instances, fun games like corn hole and ping pong. Check out our blog to learn more about Tempe’s restaurants with patios.
Even when temperatures are in the triple digits, you can get out and enjoy some of the fun outdoor activities such as paddle boarding or renting a donut boat with friends out on Tempe Town Lake. Just make sure to stay hydrated! And experienced golfers know that when temperatures rise, golf courses rise to the occasion by lowering green fees.
Frozen Treats to Beat the Heat
There are lots of sweet, cold and refreshing treats to be enjoyed in Tempe. Cool down with one of the seasonal flavors of froyo, like tropical key lime, at ZoYo Neighborhood Frozen Yogurt. Habitual ice crunchers will no doubt love shaved ice goodness at Joe’s Italian Ice or Bahama Buck’s. Whatever you’re craving, Tempe’s got lots of frosty options to cool your craving for something sweet and cold. Love that brain freeze!
Keep Cool Indoors
Gone are the days when the main refuges from the heat were movie theaters and department stores. Now there are loads of other cool, air-conditioned indoor activities to pursue. In Tempe, you’ll find lots of fun indoor activities to cure those summer doldrums.
- Get into the game – the arcade game that is! Tilt Studio, Dave & Busters, and Main Event are ready to bring you some cool fun this summer! From arcade games to delicious eats, each location has something unique to offer.
- See beautiful sea creatures at SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium and build something with your kids at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona. Both are located at Arizona Mills Mall.
- Get the old heart pumping indoors at Phoenix Rock Gym.
- For a something a little more on the wild side, try your axe-throwing skills at LumberJaxes Axe Throwing, Hotshots Axe Throwing, or Class Axe Throwing.
- Throwing stuff can be fun and cathartic and it’s entirely acceptable at Simply Smashing Rage Release Room. They provide everything from plates to electronic devices for your throwing pleasure.
- This summer, challenge your brain and compete with a team through one of Tempe’s escape rooms. Check out escape rooms like Escape Zone and Inferno Escape Room. Pick out your favorite theme and grab a group of friends (or co-workers) and try to beat the clock in 60 minutes or less!
- Do you love tapping into your creative side by painting pottery or canvas painting? If the answer is yes, check out As You Wish at Tempe Marketplace or Painting with a Twist.
- With over 40,000 square feet, Gravity Extreme Zone features a range of unique attractions, including a zip line, rock climbing wall, bungee jumping, skywalk, drop slide, dodge ball, foam pit, and VR area. With something to do for everyone, Gravity Extreme Zone is the perfect place for families, groups, and individuals of all ages!
Ice Cold Beer
Hot, one-hundred degree temperatures pair perfectly with ice cold beer. (No doubt the best beer you’ve ever had is the one you’ve gulped down after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.) You won’t have to go far to find your favorite thirst-slaking brew in Tempe. Cool down with a Kilt Lifter at Four Peaks Brewing Company, the original destination for great Tempe craft beer. Check out the summer brews at Huss Brewing Co. – Sunday Funday and Raspberry. Or, hang out with a hand-crafted Light Lager or Belgian-Style Tripel at the bike-friendly Pedal Haus Brewery. Learn more about Tempe’s craft breweries.
The Kiwanis Pool is perfect for the whole family. No need to reapply sunscreen here – the pool is indoors. It has water slides and 3’ waves. Check the website for more details, including hours of operation.
The Splash Pad at Tempe Marketplace is surrounded by a shaded seating area for parents and it’s close to a few spots where you can get an iced beverage or dessert, such as the café inside Barnes & Noble, Panera Bread, Churroholic and Mojo Yogurt. It’s open daily from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. On Friday and Saturday evenings, parents can also enjoy live musicians who play within earshot of the splash pad.
Check out one of Tempe’s neighborhood splash pads. Kiwanis, Esquer, Hudson and Jaycee neighborhood parks are open daily 8 a.m.-10 p.m from April through October.
The Cloud at Kiwanis Park – 5233 S. Ash Ave. Tempe, AZ 85283
Jaycee Park – 817 W 5th St., Tempe, AZ 85281
Esquer Park – 2407 E. McArthur Dr., Tempe, AZ 85281
Hudson Park – 1430 S. Cedar St., Tempe AZ 85281
School’s out for summer, the snowbirds have left their winter desert nests and flown back to their other nests in the humid states. This means that the roads are less crowded (YAY!) and traffic is much lighter, so you can sit back and really savor the drive in the cool comfort of your air-conditioned car.
Arizona Day Trips
You may not be planning a big summer trip this year, but lucky for us, Tempe is centrally located in the Phoenix Metro area, making it easy to take a fun day trip to explore Arizona! Yes, you can hop in your air-conditioned car and enjoy a leisurely drive on roads less crowded and go north or south to explore several Arizona destinations that are just a day trip away. Experience the Apache Trail Loop, Jerome, Flagstaff, Bearizona, St. Anthony’s Greek Monastery in Florence, Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Camp Verde, Sedona, Antelope Canyon and many more destinations, with lots of good restaurants along the way. With a morning start, you’ll be back in time for dinner. Learn more about day tripping from Tempe.
These are just a few of the reasons why we’re stoked about summer in Tempe. There’s a lot more. Learn about all the summer fun in Tempe on the Tempe Tourism web-page.