You might be wary of Arizona’s toasty temperatures during the summer. But you can rest assured that Tempe is open for business with lots of cool fun in the sun and money-saving deals all season long. Dare we say that you will perspire? Yeah, you definitely will. But, keep in mind that 100 degrees feels much more comfortable in our dry climate than in places with high humidity. We’re looking at you, Atlanta. Also, in Arizona, you’re never far away from one of mankind’s best inventions, air conditioning.
Here are a few of the things we love about summer in Tempe:
Lower Hotel Rates
Our hotels offer terrific summer rates, which means you’ll save a bunch of dough on accommodations. Included in your rate is unlimited free access to the hotel pool, where you can spend a lot of time just chill-axing. Learn more about Tempe’s cool, comfortable and inviting accommodations.
Misters are magical inventions that provide a cool refreshing mist anywhere people like to congregate outside. It’s like air conditioning for the outdoors. They work wonders in dry heat. Misters cool down your walk between stores at Tempe Marketplace. They make dining on restaurant patios pleasant, especially in the evening. You can chill on a mister-cooled patio, enjoying friends, food, a cool cocktail and, in many instances, fun games like corn hole and ping pong. Check out our blog to learn more about Tempe’s restaurants with patios.
Even when temperatures are in the triple digits, you can get out and enjoy some of the fun outdoor activities such as paddle boarding on Tempe Town Lake or taking the kiddos to the splash pad at Tempe Marketplace. And experienced golfers know that when temperatures rise, golf courses rise to the occasion by lowering green fees. You can practice social distancing and experience the outdoors at the same time. Check out our list of outdoor options during COVID-19.
Frozen Treats to Beat the Heat
Frosty frozen treats are the next best thing to ice cold beer when the heat has you frazzled. Unless you’re under 21, in which case your hot weather go to is probably a 7-11 Slurpee. However, there are lots of other sweet, cold and refreshing treats to be enjoyed in Tempe. Cool down with one of the seasonal flavors of froyo, like tropical key lime, at ZoYo Neighborhood Frozen Yogurt. Habitual ice crunchers will no doubt love shaved ice goodness at Joe’s Italian Ice or Bahama Buck’s. Or, you can go global and try a cold treat on the spicy side with scoop of Indian ice cream at Curry and Scoop. Whatever you’re craving, Tempe’s got lots of frosty options to cool your craving for something sweet and cold. Love that brain freeze!
Keep Cool Indoors
Gone are the days when the main refuges from the heat were movie theaters and department stores. Now there are loads of other cool, air-conditioned indoor activities to pursue. In Tempe, you’ll find lots of fun indoor activities to cure those summer doldrums.
- Get into the game – the arcade game that is! Tilt Studio, Dave & Busters, and Main Event are open for some cool fun this summer! From arcade games to delicious eats, each location has something unique to offer.
- See beautiful sea creatures at SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium and build something with your kids at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona. Both are located at Arizona Mills Mall.
- Get the old heart pumping indoors at Phoenix Rock Gym.
- For a something a little more on the wild side, try your axe-throwing skills at LumberJaxes Axe Throwing
- Throwing stuff can be fun and cathartic and it’s entirely acceptable at Simply Smashing Rage Release Room. They provide everything from plates to electronic devices for your throwing pleasure.
- This summer, challenge your brain and compete with a team through one of Tempe’s escape rooms. Check out escape rooms like Escape Zone, Alcatraz Escape Games and Inferno Escape Room. Pick out your favorite theme and grab a group of friends (or co-workers) and try to beat the clock in 60 minutes or less!
- Do you love painting pottery? If the answer is yes, check out As You Wish at Tempe Marketplace or Burst of Butterflies. where you can discover imaginative possibilities.
- With over 40,000 square feet, Gravity Extreme Zone features a range of unique attractions, including a zip line, rock climbing wall, bungee jumping, skywalk, drop slide, dodge ball, foam pit, and VR area. With something to do for everyone, Gravity Extreme Zone is the perfect place for families, groups, and individuals of all ages!
Ice Cold Beer
Hot, one-hundred degree temperatures pair perfectly with ice cold beer. (No doubt the best beer you’ve ever had is the one you’ve gulped down after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.) You won’t have to go far to find your favorite thirst-slaking brew in Tempe. Cool down with a Kilt Lifter at Four Peaks Brewing Company, the original destination for great Tempe craft beer. Check out the summer brews at Huss Brewing Co. – Sunday Funday and Raspberry. Or, hang out with a hand-crafted Light Lager or Belgian-Style Tripel at the bike-friendly Pedal Haus Brewery. Learn more about Tempe’s craft breweries.
School’s out for summer, the snowbirds have left their winter desert nests and flown back to their other nests in the humid states. This means that the roads are less crowded and traffic is much lighter, so you can sit back and really savor the drive in the cool comfort of your air-conditioned car.
You may not be able to plan a big summer trip this year, but lucky for us, Tempe is centrally located in the Phoenix Metro area, making it easy to take fun day trips to other cities! Yes, you can hop in your air-conditioned car and enjoy a leisurely drive on roads less crowded and go north or south to explore other destinations that are just a day trip away. Experience the Apache Trail Loop, Flagstaff and Bearizona, St. Anthony’s Greek Monastery in Florence, Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Camp Verde, Sedona, Jerome, Antelope Canyon and many more destinations, with lots of good restaurants along the way. With a morning start, you’ll be back in time for dinner. Learn more about day tripping from Tempe.
These are just a few of the reasons why we’re stoked about summer in Tempe. There’s a lot more. Learn about all the summer fun in Tempe on the Tempe Tourism web-page.