Author: Michael Martin
Posted on: June 11, 2014
It’s summer in Arizona, which means it’s pretty toasty outside. While that means staying indoors during the majority of the day, it doesn’t mean the fun stops there! Tempe has a variety of entertaining indoor activities for young kids to enjoy and have a blast this summer. Here is my list of top 5 indoor activities in Tempe to keep the kids having fun all summer long:
1. SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium at Arizona Mills – This place is lots of fun for young kids. It has a huge variety of sea creatures, over 5,000, and every area of the aquarium has a fun theme and centers around what would peaks a child’s interest. Be sure to buy your ticket online ahead of time – you’ll save 20% on each ticket! Another plus to heading to SEA LIFE this summer is the fun shopping and dining that you can do before and/or after at Arizona Mills. One of my favorites for kids is the Rainforest Cafe. It’s a sure fire winners with little ones with small attention spans.
2. As You Wish Pottery at Tempe Marketplace – At As You Wish you and your kiddo become the artists! You pick out a piece of plain white pottery and paint it with any color and design you choose! There are lots of pottery options to choose from: plates, bowls, mugs, cookie jars, figurines and more. The paint colors to choose from are endless and have different features to choose from such as crackle paint, puffy paint, etc. Once your piece is completed, the nice people at As You Wish fire it for you and have it ready to pick up in about three days. It’s a lot of fun and gives you and your child a chance to get creative. Adults pay a studio fee of $8.00 plus the cost of pottery and kids 12 and under pay a studio fee of $6.00 plus the cost of pottery.
3. Kiwanis Wave Pool – Love the water but don’t want the sunburn? Check out the indoor Kiwanis Wave Pool at the Kiwanis Recreation Center. The pool is huge and there is a double spiral slide to ride inside also. The waves are a perfect 3 feet high and guests can rent tubes and rafts at the pool to ride the waves even better. The wave pool is open daily from 1:00 to 5:00 pm and costs $7 for adults and $5 for kids 2-12.
4. Storytime at Barnes & Noble – Several days each week, the Barnes & Noble at Tempe Marketplace offers storytime for toddlers. They are usually held at either 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. and are completely free! Be sure to view their online calendar before going to find the storytime schedule. This is a great way to get your little one more interested in books, and get out of the house for a fun excursion. After storytime, you’ll be already be conveniently located at Tempe Marketplace where there are lots of fun shops and restaurants to check out. Red Robin, Paradise Bakery, Portillo’s and Lucille’s BBQ are all great options for kids.
5. First Saturdays for Families and Family Fun Day at ASU Art Museum – First Saturdays for Families is perfect for kiddos ages 4-12 and their families to make a creative project in conjunction with current exhibitions on display at the museum. It’s completely free, and there’s no registration required – you just show up for the fun! The next scheduled First Saturdays program is scheduled for Saturday, August 2nd. All materials are provided and families can take home their artwork. Another fantastic event at ASU Art Museum this summer is Family Fun Day, scheduled for Saturday, July 12th. Children are invited to participate in a variety of art projects, educational booths and performances held in conjunction with Funny Papers, and exhibition that explores the history of comic strips and their continued prevalence throughout art. It includes both vintage comic strips and contemporary art infused with comic icons.
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.