Paddleboarding on Tempe Town Lake is great fun!

Author: Amy

Posted on: May 26, 2016
Last updated on: September 20th, 2018 at 11:34 am

Details:

My favorite form of water adventure fun at Tempe Town Lake is stand-up paddleboarding (SUP). Today was my very first experience with this new water sport, and I have to say, it will will definitely not be my last!

When I arrived in the morning, I checked in at the kiosk on the south side of lake, where the Tempe Boat Rentals dock is located. Down on the dock is where I received my helpful, fun, and very instructive, paddleboarding lesson from Clint, manager of Tempe Boat Rentals.

First, you get onto the paddleboard from the dock by sliding gently from a sitting position on the edge of the dock, to a kneeling position on the board. Once you are a good 5 to 10 feet away from the dock, you ever-so-gently balance you’re way up into a standing position. This part was the most intimidating because I don’t have the best balancing skills. But once I was up, it was smooth sailing!

After a few minutes, I really felt like I was getting the hang of it. And once I felt pretty comfortable, it got really really fun! The breeze on my face was amazing, and the surrounding views of the lake were beautiful. And on top of how much fun this sport is, it’s also an invigorating workout. It worked my core and arms the whole time, and since I was having so much fun, it never even felt like I was working out!

After a while I had to head back to the dock, but I just couldn’t leave without trying out a pedal boat. Now that’s a relaxing way to enjoy the lake! With no training needed, I just hopped into a pedal boat and took it out for spin. So easy, anyone could do it!

After such a fun morning out on Tempe Town Lake, I’m already excited to plan my next outing for more water adventures. Tempe Boat Rentals also offers kayaks, electric skiffs, pontoon boats and beach cruiser bikes…can’t wait to try them all!

The cost to rent a stand-up paddleboard is $20 for 1 hour or $35 for 2 hours. For more rate information for all watercraft options visit:

Tempe Boat Rentals
480-303-9803
72 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, AZ 85282

Tempe Town Lake paddleboarding

10 thoughts on “Paddleboarding on Tempe Town Lake is great fun!

1. Chana King says:

How much is a SUP to rent ? How long can you rent for ? Do I need any kind of permit ?

1. Amy says:

It’s $20 for one hour to rent an SUP, or $35 for 2 hours. Here is the Tempe Boat Rentals website with all the details: http://boats4rent.com/tempe-az/.

2. Kevin says:

Does someone help you learn to paddle board or you rent the board and you are on your own? Also, what’s the hours for the rental place?

1. Amy says:

Yes, someone will give you instructions to help you get familiar with paddleboarding, and then you will head out on your own. Their hours are 10 am to 8 pm. Visit http://boats4rent.com/tempe-az/tempe-town/ for more information.

3. hawkins says:

Can my grandkids 7 and 10 get their own paddleboards too? Are there smaller ones?

1. Amy says:

I’m not sure of the height/weight guidelines for the paddle boards, so give Tempe Boat Rentals a call before you go, (480) 303-9803. Have fun!

4. Ron Erlandson says:

I would like to come use the Stand Up Paddleboards, but bring my own. Is there a place to “dock” or enter and exit the water with my own board?

1. Toni says:

Hi Ron. I just called the City of Tempe and you can enter the water with your own paddleboard on the north shore of the lake near the marina. If you need specific directions on where you can launch from, you can call the recreation team at 480-350-5200.

5. Ron Erlandson says:

thank you Toni! I just got a new inflatable and want to work with it some, this would be easy to use area and good practice!

6. Jennie says:

Are dogs allowed in the water on Tempe town lake?
    I want to take my dog paddle boarding