Posted on: August 22, 2014
Fall is a great time to explore all the fun things to do in Downtown Tempe. With all the options, there’s no better place to enjoy your free time than on Mill Avenue. In addition to great shopping and dining, Downtown Tempe offers hiking, biking, movie watching, museums and a variety of theater performances.
Here’s my short list of fun things to do when you’re out and about in Downtown Tempe:
1) Go for a hike: At the north end of Downtown Tempe lies “A” Mountain. This quick, although fairly rigorous, hike provides panoramic views of the ASU Tempe Campus and the surrounding areas of Tempe. Just gorgeous!
2) See a movie: AMC Centerpoint 11 is located in the heart of Downtown Tempe and offers luxury movie-going. The seats are fancy recliners so you can watch your movie in style. The food here is yummy, or you can grab a bite before or after the show at one of the many delicious nearby restaurants.
3) Take a bike ride: Grab a bike and head downtown for a fun bike ride. There are hundreds of bike paths in Tempe winding through the city. Explore nearby Tempe Town Lake or head north to the Crosscut Canal Multiuse Path that goes through lovely Papago Park. Either bring your own two wheeler or rent a bike at The Bicycle Cellar, just steps from Mill Avenue.
4) See a theater performance: Between the smart and edgy performances that can be seen at Stray Cat Theatre, to the blockbuster Broadway shows at ASU Gammage, there’s always something amazing to behold onstage in Downtown Tempe. Visit www.straycatheatre.org or www.asuagmmage.com for tickets!
5) Soak up the sun at Tempe Town Lake: Just steps from Downtown Tempe, Tempe Town Lake offers fantastic running, walking and biking paths that run along the entire perimeter of the lake. Or, if you’re looking for some fun on the water, rent a paddle board, kayak or pedal boat at Tempe Boat Rentals.
6) Explore the ASU Art Museum: Take in a variety of visual arts at every turn from prehistoric drawings left by Tempe’s earliest dwellers to the contemporary art by national and international artists at the ASU Art Museum and the ASU Art Museum Ceramics Research Center & Brickyard Gallery. The ASU Art Museum is located on Mill Ave. and 10th Street, and The Ceramics Research Center is just up the street on Mill Ave. and 7th Street.
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.